Holiday Elf Sandwich
Get into the spirit as you and your child make sandwiches to look like holiday characters.
bread American cheese slice bologna alfalfa sprouts raisins pimento cherry or small radish plastic knife
What to do:
- Invite your child to place a slice of bread on a plate for the elf's head. Placing the slice of bologna on top will create a round face.
- Help him cut the cheese into a triangle with his plastic knife. Place the cheese on the top of the elf's head as shown in the diagram. This is the elf's hat. Adding a cherry or radish makes the pompom at the end of the elf's hat.
- Scatter some alfalfa sprouts on either side of the hat for hair.
- Encourage your child to finish the elf's face with raisin eyes and a piece of pimento for a mouth.
- Praise your child for his lovely creation. Making character sandwiches is not only fun, but nutritious too.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Tell me about your holiday elf sandwich. How did you make it? What foods did you use?
- What other holiday character would you like to make a sandwich look-alike?
- Name other foods we could use to make faces on a sandwich.
While you are having fun together, your child is developing small muscle skills, eye/hand coordination, and creativity.