Here's an ornament with a terrific scent that your child can make with little help. It will sweeten up a kitchen any time of year.
tissue wrapping paper one 3.5 oz. container of cinnamon a small jar of applesauce metal cookie cutter plastic drinking straw rolling pin measuring spoons
What to do:
- Invite your child to mix 1 to 2 Tbsp. of applesauce into the can of ground cinnamon until the mixture has the consistency of stiff dough.
- Encourage her to knead it slightly to make it smooth and then to roll it out to 1/8 inch thick.
- Help her cut the dough into pieces with a small metal cookie cutter. Then use a plastic drinking straw to cut a hole in the top of each one.
- Allow the cinnamon ornament to dry at room temperature for a day or so.
- Invite her to insert a piece of ribbon through the hole in each cinnamon ornament so that it is centered on the ribbon.
- Encourage her to wrap each ornament in tissue paper and give it as a gift!
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- What does the scent of cinnamon make you think about?
- Would you like to try painting one of the ornaments?
- To whom shall we give these wonderful ornaments?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills, eye/hand coordination, and pre-math skills.