New Year's Eve Favors
Plan a New Year's celebration with your child and make some homemade favors!
1 frozen orange juice can tissue paper curly ribbon wrapped candy or trinkets glue scissors decorating materials such as sticker stars, sequins, lace, etc.
What to do:
- Remove both ends of orange juice can.
- Let your child help you measure tissue paper so it extends 3" beyond the 2 ends of the can and completely wraps around. Help her glue the tissue paper in place.
- Encourage your child to decorate the tissue with sticker stars, sequins, and lace.
- Help her tie one end of tissue closed with ribbon. Fringe tissue with scissors.
- Invite your child to help you fill the can with candy.
- Talk about New Year's resolutions and what they mean.
- For example:
What would you like to do in the New Year?
How could you be helpful to your parents?
What would you like to learn this year?
Write down your child's ideas on strips of paper.
- Ask your child to place these resolutions written on strips of paper in the can. (if you wish)
- Help her close the open end of the tissue with ribbon and help her fringe the tissue paper.
- On the BIG NIGHT, let your guests take turns snapping open the cans.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- What was the best thing that happened to you this past year?
- What do you think will happen in the New Year?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills, language skills and thinking skills.