Need a gift in a hurry and at no cost? You and your child can give coupons for special favors. This simple activity helps your child learn that the best gifts come from the heart and not from a store.
"coupon sized" paper pencil, crayons, or markers stapler (if making a coupon book) envelope (optional)
What to do:
- Discuss with your child what kinds of special talents she has that could help someone else (wash dishes, set the table, feed the pet, take out the trash, put away toys, simple everyday kinds of things).
- Make coupons together-good for "services" performed by your child.
- Make a list and decide together how many coupons to make and give as gifts to a family member or friend.
- Write your child's words on the coupon and let her decorate each one.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- What special talents do you have that you could share with someone else?
- If you were to receive a coupon, what would you like someone to do for you?
- Do you think (Grandma, Grandpa, friend) would rather get a gift or a gift coupon?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop social skills and thinking skills.