Let your child's imagination run free as you make and decorate this princess costume together!
a long dress or adult-sized shirt or nightgown
heavy construction paper or posterboard 15 inches x 24 inches
scarf or sheer fabric
sequins, old jewels (optional)
What to do:
- Show your child how to create a princess hat by shaping heavy paper into a cone.
- Help her to staple the edges.
- Invite her to glue on sequins and jewels to decorate.
- Attach a piece of sheer fabric to the top point and let this drape down.
- Let her wear a long dress or fancy adult shirt or nightgown as her gown.
- If available, invite her to choose costume jewelry to add to her costume.
How to use:
- Challenge your child to pretend to be a princess in a fairy tale.
- Talk about where she lives and what she does.
- Let her be a princess for a day.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- How did you decorate your royal hat?
- Pretend you are a princess. How do you feel?
- Do you live in a castle?
- What does it look like?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills, language skills and imagination.