Holiday Card Garland
Colorful greeting cards make attractive holiday or special event decorations. Together with your child, recycle them into a garland. Hang the garland in your home.
old greeting cards hole punch scissors thread, string or yarn
What to do:
- Discuss the meaning of "garland" with your child. Perhaps you can show her a picture of a garland.
- Invite her to cut out shapes and pictures from the greeting cards. Use the cards of your holiday (Christmas, Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa).
- Help her punch two holes in each picture.
- Encourage her to thread yarn, string or thread through the holes of each picture.
- She may continue to add pictures until the garland is as long as she wishes, or she runs out of cards.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Where would you like to hang the garland?
- Tell me about the pictures you used.
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop small muscle skills and eye/hand coordination.