Decorate a pumpkin, learn about fall colors, and sing a fall song together.
1 medium pumpkin or several small ones
ornamental materials in fall colors (yarn, ribbon, crepe paper streamers, lace, rick-rack, etc.)
What to do:
- Place a pumpkin or several small ones on a plate.
- Provide trim materials in fall colors, such as orange, red, brown, yellow, gold, and black. Invite your child to decorate the pumpkin with the trim materials. Attach them with tape.
- Place the decorated pumpkin in the center of the table for a seasonal centerpiece.
- While decorating the pumpkin arrangement, sing this song with your child. (Tune: "Frere Jacques"):
Here's my pumpkin, here's my pumpkin,
On a plate, on a plate.
Pretty decorations, see the fall colors.
How to use:
Talk about the changes in the weather and the fall scenery. Examine the pumpkin, the size, the feel and texture.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- What did we put on the pumpkin to make it look pretty?
- Can you name the fall colors with me?
- What fall colors do we see when we walk outside?
- What time of the year do we see pumpkins?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop eye/hand coordination and language skills.