Explore the exciting world of words with your child with this easy game.
What to do:
- Talk to your child about words that tell us about objects and people. Many words DESCRIBE - they tell us about something or somebody.
- Give him examples: a RED dress, a FAST car, a BIG bear.
- Ask your child to choose an animal that interests him, for example, an elephant.
- Challenge him to use words to describe elephants.
- Invite him to tell how elephants move and where they might go.
- Write down his words and encourage him to draw a picture of the animal he has described.
- Continue playing with other animals or objects of his choice.
Let's Talk: Ideas to Explore Together.
- Why do you like this animal?
- Have you ever seen a live one? Where?
- Would you like this animal as a pet?
While you are having fun together, this activity helps your child develop pre-reading and language skills.